Thursday, April 13, 2006

Exams and compiler

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I have been busy with exams; I have my last exam tomorrow, and after that I'm pretty much free. I will be working as a TA this summer, either doing classroom problem solving sessions or marking assignments. I'm also spending a lot of time reading papers and books, thinking of a thesis topic. I still have a lot to learn about Algebraic Topology before I'm ready to contribute to the field.

Because I've been busy with school stuff, work on Factor has been proceeding a bit slowly, but I am making progress on reworking the compiler. Previously it would transform quotations to dataflow IR, then optimize the dataflow IR, transform it to linear IR, optimize the linear IR and generate machine code. Well I'm working on a new code generator which generates code directly from the dataflow IR. I'm also working on a rudimentary register allocator. The result should be both faster compilation and faster generated code. I will post some details on the new optimizer/generator when it is done, as the design is quite elegant and interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to hear what you're up to Slava.